Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spending extra Register Rewards? Need a filler ? Think of Walgreens as your mini grocery store

My Mom would be so proud. She was a loyal Walgreens customer, even without the deals and coupons. This one is for you Mom.
2 years ago I would have never said this.......Oh how I love Walgreens. This isn't a commercial for WAGS, it's just the truth. I've said before that if I could buy all my groceries at Walgreens I would. I know their grocery aisle is limited, but there are plenty of items there to make a pantry more full. For those that are not familiar with couponing and how to take advantage of the Walgreens deals, this might sound totally absurd. When I have some register rewards that are expiring and there aren't any deals, or I need a filler to make my deal work, I love to buy groceries- the items on sale of course, Walgreens regular priced grocery items tend to be pricey. Then I don't spend the cash (or Target gift card) OOP at the dreaded grocery store. I save my cash for fresh produce and meats.

I've been able to make dinner from my Walgreens stockpile on many occasions. It might not be the most nutritious meal, but it usually isn't too bad. We love tuna salad. Tuna noodle casserole isn't too bad. Walgreen's has canned tuna on sale very often. We love grilled cheese sandwiches. I've been known to buy american cheese, bread, and the butter or margarine at Walgreens. Like chips with your sandwich? No problem. You can find all kinds of chips. Add a can of soup that you can get on sale w/ coupons and you have yourself a nice and fast dinner for 2. Don't forget the crackers for your soup. I've been able to get my share of cheap or free crackers at Walgreens. I often grab a canned ham when it is on sale for grilled hammy melt sandwiches or to put in macaroni salad or even an omelet. Of course you can pick up the macaroni and eggs at Walgreens too. Hormel's corned beef can be found on sale at Walgreens. Corned beef hash-yum! (Have to find a potato somewhere else though.)Then there's the bottled Ragu Spaghetti sauce. We can have pasta 1 time a week if we want with all the Ragu I've grabbed at Walgreens and that I have in my stockpile. I've picked up tons of tomato sauce when it's on sale for a filler. You always need tomato sauce! When the canned veggies go on sale, I stock up, buying one can at a time to use as a filler in my deal. I pick up a can of fruit or mushrooms the week they are on sale for future use-almost always as a filler.
We've even had a bowl of cereal for dinner a time or two-cereal and milk from Walgreens of course. You can always pick up a frozen Red Baron pizza-I've picked them up for $1.99. I always look in the freezer section in case they put something on clearance. I've stocked up on shredded and block cheese, cream cheese,sour cream, heavy whipping cream, lunch meat and bacon when it was on sale-with coupons of course. Coffee creamer sometimes goes on sale and so does Splenda for your coffee. You can grab peanut butter and jelly when it goes on sale for a yummy snack. Want some ice cream? No problemo- sometimes Bluebell goes on sale and most Walgreens carries no sugar added. Would you rather have some nuts to snack on? I always pass by the nut section! They are a grab and go snack on the run!
If you need some basic spices, Walgreens puts them on sale for 2/$1. Pudding and jello, no problem. Juice, tea, soda, water, and now beer and wine-can get it all at Walgreens. I'm not sure if the spirits ever go on sale though. Our Walgreens in San Antonio carries tortillas- flour and corn! Last week, I saw bags of naval oranges near the cashier!
So, here it is. Get your groceries at Walgreens when they are on sale, a little at a time, as a filler or with money maker RRs when the deals are few and far between. You can't go wrong. It makes going to the grocery store so much easier on your pocketbook.

1 comment:

Sunny Simple Life said...

Great post. I need to do this more. I have been in a lot to get the plackers deal this week so will have some RRs to use up.